Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Thu Jun 1, 2000  2:57 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] a question for dr john schweinfurth and others

----- Original Message -----

> I have just started having hypertension with Lower BP numbers quite high,
> 115 now down to 95 on Cozaar. My doc is talking about diuretics
> and this concerns me. I have to drink over a gallon of water a day, here
in
> the desert, to have notes above high A, like Bflat, C and D flat. I am a
> lyric tenor, 37 y/o. What are the possible downsides to the voice when on
> takes diuretics. Will my cords be less moist/hydrated ?

Diuretics reduce the fluid in the vascular tree but the effect wears off
over time. It still increases the amount of urine, but typically people
under roughly age 70 will maintain fluid homeostasis by drinking enough to
maintain adequate hydration of the tissues. If the volume of fluid in
circulation is reduced somewhat, it is more likely the colon will absorb
more water and the stools will become harder.

Thus if you maintain your well hydrated state the diuretic should not do
anything to your vocal folds. The air is much more likely to dry them.

The initial dose of diuretic in Hyzaar is 12.5 mg of hydrochlorothiazide
which is quite low. Even if the Hyzaar 100/25 is used, it's only 25 mg of
hydrocholorothiazide which is really not high.

OTOH, if it still worries you, ask your doctor to consider if it would be
appropriate to add a small dose of a calcium channel blocker rather than a
diuretic. It would probably double the cost of treatment, whereas Hyzaar
would be minimally more than Cozaar.

Of course, you could try the Hyzaar and see if you have more trouble. You
can always ask to stop it.

John

John Messmer, MD, Medical Director
University Physician Group, Palmyra, PA