Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Mon Oct 21, 2002  4:46 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: beloved concert halls, and Exclusiveness

Thanks for all that Colin. The Pears Britten images I
carry from my youth began at school with a rousing
choral rendition of The Fishermen of England so your
description of the East Coast along with those of
the Britten/Pears Grimes, are very well sketched in
my colonial mind. It will be interesting to compare
with the reality.

While in the Pears arena, I regard his vocal production
as an illustration of Englishness and if I may be so
bold, an example of how a peculiar, (not to say defective)
technique can still succeed as long as the musicality
exists, which it clearly does.
I gather that Britten regarded Pears vocal style to be
some sort of ideal that suited his image of English
operatic need. I'd be interested to hear the opinions of
our Welsh singers in this regard.

I know that is a bit forthright but I feel you might
agree that Pears production fits the description of
an over controlled choral performer. Very English and
from the point of view of Brittens vocal evaluation, more
than a little exclusive.
Is that TOO strong? :)

Regards Reg.

emusic.com