Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Oct 20, 2002  3:25 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] very young voices

mirko,

i have a number of students around 8 and 9 years old. in general, i
have had the best results by getting them singing a lot and singing with
them. we sing lots of upbeat songs with a lot of motion in them (we use the
hal leonard musical theater collections for kids and teens). i don't go
into a lot of explaination with them as they are more interested in doing
rather than being explained at.

in singing with them, i have noticed that they all start picking up
the way i do things without copying me. the loud unruly ones start showing
signs of finesse, the quiet mumblers start singing louder without screaming
and the little morbid ones start having fun with singing.

i think the most important thing to teach kids (or any student) is
that singing is a blast. it takes a while to learn how to sing well. if
the student doesn't enjoy singing, there is no reason for them to bother to
stick it out.

one other advantage to using music that is upbeat, where the syllables
change pretty much on every note: it keeps their voices flexible, which later
on will prove to be key to singing sostenuto.

mike

emusic.com