Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <naomi@n...>
Date:  Thu Oct 17, 2002  6:46 pm
Subject:  Snape/Aldeburgh

Reg wrote:

>Well I just assume you have personal experiences of the
>venue that are beyond the inclusions on the web page.

I studied four times at the Britten-Pears School in Aldeburgh, and in
the context of one course I did there, I had the privilege of
performing in the Snape Maltings Concert Hall. It's lovely place to
perform. (I also got to sing in the Jubilee Hall in Aldeburgh, also
a treat.)

>I get the impression also that it labours the
>Englishness of musical composition and performance
>but fails to encompass Elgar. Put another way I have the
>impression that it has restricted its musical breadth.

The musical menu changes every year, and I presume it is designed to
serve the students who attend the School. I don't find it restricted
myself; in fact I applaud their openness to experimentation and new
music. However you are correct that there is no Elgar, and if your
definition of unfettered musical breadth presupposes the presence of
Elgar on every season, then your conclusion is unimpeachable! ; )

>I'm interested in all this because next year I am planning
>to venture beyond these shores in the direction of Austria,
>Germany, France, England, Scotland and Ireland and I've
>been researching things like this but in spite of my work,
>this one did not crop up. Ta Reg.

Are you planning this trip for the purpose of performing, studying,
or concertgoing? Or some combination thereof? I hope you'll enjoy
it, whatever you choose!

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com