Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Fri Oct 11, 2002  10:16 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] setting up group voice classes? Sharon?

Deanna and all:
Group classes are a wonderful way for a teacher to reach a number of
students in a short amount of time, increasing the return on the
teacher's hour and offering a more affordable alternative to those for
whom the cost or time investment of private study is not viable.

I usually plan a course quite a bit in advance to give myself plenty of
time to assemble enough students. I do choose a set date for the class
to begin; an ongoing class wouldn't work as well since the course is
structured in a sort of building block fashion. I then publicize it a
number of different ways:
- I get referrals from a friend who is a speech therapist and sends me
lots of patients
- I get referrals from UNC-CH (where I used to teach) and from the local
professional theater associated with the university.
- I put up posters at various community locations (arts center,
university, library, YMCA etc. - I haven't yet gone the route of posting
at stores and other places, but I might if I needed to)
- My brochure with class listings goes out to all local music teachers
at the schools, to local church music directors, and to other music
teachers (I'm a member of MTNA and our local chapter)
- I announce classes on my local Gilbert and Sullivan group listserve
(have gotten lots of students from this source, but I was well known in
the group prior to starting this)
- Word of mouth is really my absolute best advertiser! Others who have
taken the course or lessons refer their friends constantly.

I have a maximum number for the class, but I try to over book by one or
two as it seems someone will always drop out right before we begin. I
get a registration form and check ahead of time so that I know people
are truly committed to coming (learned this the hard way!)

I offer two different classes currently:
- Beginning Singing for Adults - covers the rudiments of breathing,
registration, posture and onset. Primarily exercises for technical
development. 6 weeks, $95
- Intermediate Singing for Adults - a continuation of the previous
class, covering tone, agility, resonance, etc. Additional exercises,
some lecture, then application of technique to actual songs. 6 weeks -
$95

Our studio also offers occasional classes in Music Reading and Alexander
Technique. Plans are in the works for additional classes in Jazz and
Pop Stylings, Movement for Singers, and a Musical Theater Workshop.

The single biggest challenge I face is NOT finding people who want to do
the class, but in finding a day/time/weeks when they can ALL attend!!! I
have had good experiences with 7:30 weeknight classes and 10:00 Saturday
classes which run for 5-6 weeks. Most people can make that work, and
since the cost is low, if they have to miss one week it doesn't seem too
bad.

Hope this helps!

Sharon Szymanski

emusic.com