Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Thu Jun 1, 2000  7:42 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors - and castrati

--- Tako Oda <toda@m...> wrote:
He first quoted me:
> Now: show me the countertenor that rivals a trumpet,
> and I want to believe countertenors have anything to
> do with castratos, other than some strange ambuigity
> about their gender and sexual prefereces.
The Tako answered:
You may want to consider the possible sociological
reasons why non-heterosexual men might be more willing
to pursue a marginalized career in early music.
Dear Tako and list,
I did not write that countertenors (and castrato's)
were gay, only that their singing makes people wonder
whether they are real men in several meanings of the
word. I don't say this is good or bad, but it is a
real difference compared to other voices.
One other thing (I'll will write more this evevning, I
have to leave now): there might be nothing wrong with
blues and even pop, but firstly it is not my cup of
tea, and secondly, it is a kind of singing, that does
not force you to develop your voice in the way
castratos did that, so his voice does not suit us in
our discussion very well, which is sad for us, but
maybe good for him, who knows?

Best greetings and till I have some more time,
Dre