Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Thu Oct 10, 2002  6:05 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] long rambling thoughts from a small town voice teacher-LONG

Deanna:
First, let me say what a special person I think you must be. Your
post clearly shows how much you care about your family, your students
and your other commitments (choir, etc.). You provide a valuable
service to others which enlivens them and helps them grow. You support
your two daughters as well. Now it's time to give yourself the same
love and support and care that you give others. I think that you feel
this way based on what I read in your email, and I think it's very good
that you have reached the stage in your life where you are making
yourself a priority.
You will ultimately be the one to decide how you will handle this,
but here are some suggestions from someone who has experienced some
similar concerns:
1. Decide what income level you really need to make your life work
well, then structure your teaching hours/fees accordingly. Care about
others, but put your own needs first or you won't have the energy
resources to be a good teacher to others. I have had a tough time
raising prices over the years due to what I THOUGHT might happen or what
my students might feel. In reality, I have NEVER lost a student due to
a rate increase, and in most cases, most folks never even mentioned it!
Higher fees would give you more time and less vocal use.
2. Consider teaching group classes which yield a higher return on
your time than private lessons. I teach a beginning and intermediate
class for adults that is very reasonable in cost and that is a good
money-maker for me; it's a win-win situation for all. Group classes for
teens would also be popular, and there is real value to be gained from a
cooperative learning environment.
3. Take on a younger teacher to help you and take a percentage of
what he or she brings in exchange for providing teaching space, students
and experience. I now have three other beginning teachers working with
me (we have great demand for lessons in our area) and it is working out
very well for all concerned.
4. You mention that at times your voice is better than others, and
that vocal overuse may be a culprit, and you also say that your
technique may be imperfect. If the technique is at fault, lessons with
a good teacher should really help all aspects of your dilemma, and would
be another "gift" to yourself; I totally reinvented my vocal technique
in my 40's, and I now teach 35+ hours per week, perform frequently, and
TALK A LOT (!!)with virtually no problems (except those caused by my
reflux, but that's another thread!). This should also make you a better
teacher who can demonstrate more clearly the kind of sound you really
want others to make.
5. That having been said, the only time I did feel vocally tired
was when I was directing our summer chorus and - you guessed it -
"singing all the parts". I'd be really careful about the choral work
(I'm guessing you are the director??); have a strong singer in each
section sing the parts rather than you, have the piano pound them out,
but be kind to your own voice!

Hope these thoughts are of some help in getting you started on a plan of
action. Please feel free to email me privately if I can be of any
additional help.

Sharon Szymanski

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20490 Re: long rambling thoughts .. Sharon S.EdgewoodVoiceStudio edgewoodvoicestudio Thu  10/10/2002
20491 setting up group voice classes? Sharon?EdgewoodVoiceStudio edgewoodvoicestudio Thu  10/10/2002
20509 Re: setting up group voice classes? Sharon?Sharon Szymanski sszymanski27514 Fri  10/11/2002

emusic.com