Vocalist.org archive

From:  "saint james" <stjames@l...>
Date:  Thu Jun 1, 2000  7:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors - and castrati

>Today, they're really an extinct species, for all practical
>purposes. No living person has ever seen or heard one. To be
>effective for singing purposes, as I understand it, the
>operation had to be done before puberty. We never let anything
>like that happen to our sons today, and should it occur by
>accident or disease, we use hormone treatments to help them
>develop normally into men.

James here.....

There are some conditions that lead to the same effect, ie no testosterone.
There was a singer on the old list was a true male MS. Some have recorded.
Do a search for "countertenor" there is a CT page(s) with files to listen to
of modern day castrati (sans the operation)

Peace and love from the high desert of northern New Mexico,

Saint James
mailto:stjames@l...
http://www.la-tierra.com/stjames

"Ask the plants of the earth and they will teach you." Job 12:8

emusic.com