Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Jun 1, 2000  3:41 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors

from me... Reg
> Referring back to your harpsichord and gut violin
> sonatas of Bach: if we ignore the restrictions of inter-changing
> violin with counter-tenor, and substitute the voice into these sonatas,
> which would more likely match Bach's tonal choice, a counter-tenor
> or a female alto? The female I would think!

from Tako.....What is your justification in this statement?

Dear Tako,
My minds ear equates a female alto timbre
very closely with the harmonic content of that gut quality,
whereas the counter-tenor I retain is one of a, less fulsome
low spectrum and an even thinner upper. I believe that
JSBachs' juxtaposing of the harpsichord, with its sonic
appeal, against the mellow tone of the gut violin, is a brilliant
disclosure of his tonal evaluation. These days he may have
used a viola, but not a counter-tenor.

>I'm certain he liked women's
>voices (look at his wife!), but he probably only had men and boys
>available for his sacred music due to church dogma.

It would be interesting to know something about his second wife's
voice. After-all we can be certain both her singing voice and her
speaking voice were major considerations in the match. Can't we?

I understand that after his early tendency to be out-spoken, he
learned to keep his public and private lives separate and tried to
steer a narrow path between two protestant factions while
privately retaining a more liberal approach. I get the feeling
that the existence of opposing factions may have relieved the
difficulties of incorporating female voices. Look at it from a
modern point of view. Wouldn't it have been the same problem
faced by counter-tenors today in finding acceptance, though
instead of a few individuals, it would have had the weight of
50% of the population. Girls liked to sing, too. I guarantee it!

>I don't believe you're substituting in the case of Bach. Countertenors
>may have been the original instrument. I hope you're not suggesting we
>"reconstruct" the castrato? ;-)

Maybe one day we'll all be startled witless when one pops up, but...
more likely, God forbid, that's the next programme in the 'in basket'
of the genetic modifiers. Of course some cruel bass-baritones
may say it's already been done:) Slowly shaking head.

Best Wishes Reg.

emusic.com