Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Date:  Sat Oct 5, 2002  5:51 pm
Subject:  Re: Free Carmen in Boston

Naomi,

that is great! I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much.

>Folks had a good time, but the jury is out as to whether they will
>become opera converts.

Maybe they won't, but if they hear one or two more they will at least
know a bit about the art form, which I think is very valuable.

>I think it's sometimes this striving, quasi-desperation for building
>a fan base that turns people off more than the trappings of opera.
>
>Face it: it's a lot more fun to see an opera when you can stretch
>out, go to the bathroom when the urge hits, talk out loud, laugh at
>the stupid parts, leave if you get bored, wear bluejeans, eat a
>picnic, etc. When you enter the opera house for a regular-season
>production, there is so much expected of you and frankly some of it
>is a pain.

Maybe, but if the fan base shrinks too far opera houses will shut down.
I don't see why wearing blue jeans, etc. is necessarily wrong. I wish
I had more room to squirm, stretch (or get up and leave) during poor
performances. Alas I am too much of a conformist and so I will sit
there in my slacks, shirt, and maybe tie + jacket and wait for the next
official break. Why does opera have to be so formal all the time?

Congrats again!
Ingo

http://faith.yahoo.com

emusic.com