Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Ja-Naé" Duane <elektra1313@y...>
Date:  Sat Oct 5, 2002  4:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Free Carmen in Boston 2 weeks ago

HI!

I went and had a great time. It also helped that I
knew 3/4 of the singers up there, but that's the biz.
I thought that Jossie Perez did a wonderful Carmen,
though I felt that some of her staging didn't seem to
work to her benefit.

The reason why this production was so successful,
audience wise, is because it was free. Never
underestimate free things. And honestly, it doesn't
matter whether or not the masses came just to see the
show. They brought their kids and no matter
what....everyone was exposed to a really great
production.

I was sitting around some people who had never seen an
opera and they asked me......"Is all opera like this?"
They were pleasantly surprised.

With more public performances such as this one, we are
gradually creating a broader audience base. Yes, this
was a Carmen for the masses....nevertheless, I'm of
the belief that if you want to rope them into
something, make it accessible to them first.

I could go on, but let's leave it at that.

Night!

Ja-Naé Duane

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/267/living/For_Lyrics_free_opera_is_
> a_stage_to_build_on+.shtml
>
> two quick questions:
>
> 1) Was anyone from our list actually able to attend,
> and if so, what
> did you think of it?
>
> 2) What do people in general think of this idea as a
> way to increase
> opera's appeal? We've had a few discussions on this
> list about the
> dumming down of classical music. It would seem to
> me that events
> such as these could help reverse the trend.
>
> Cheers,
> Ingo

=====
<P>Up and Coming diva, founder of the National Artistic Effort,
social<BR>activist, and expert self-promoter, Ja-Nae Duane, is taking the world
by storm.....one gig at a time. Check out:http://www.Ja-Nae.com<BR>Join her
mailing list!: <A
href="mailto:Ja-Nae@yahoogroups.com</A></P>

http://faith.yahoo.com