Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Fri Oct 4, 2002  7:26 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Feelings first vs. feelings next

Josephine G. wrote:

> Dr. Clark,
> Please read my statement carefully.

+++I did read your statement very carefully, as I always try to do before
framing a response.

> I am in no way speaking here for the experiences of other people.

+++Any time one does not preface a statement with "In my experience" (or some
similar qualification), the reader is likely to infer that the speaker considers
this an opinion that applies in all cases. As an academic, I am trained to
qualify any statement that I can cannot prove beyond the shadow of a doubt --
and there are very few of those! Your statement offered no such guidelines for
the reader.

> Rather, I am merely presenting herein an opinion JUST LIKE YOU ARE

+++But I generally state my opinions by saying, "In my experience, thus and so."

> I am surprised that in a forum of supposedly FREE expression you should appear
irked by an opinion that opposes yours.

+++I am sorry you inferred from my remarks that I was irked. Rather, I was
simply pointing out that your statement, as you expressed it, was not true. I
interpret "free" expression to mean that we have the right to express our
opinions, but not to force them on others by stating things in such a way that
it appears we allow no room for other opinions.

> NOW...... you are FEELING first before thinking ...of what artistic techniques
to utilize in your expression.

+++I would not call those "artistic techniques." Those are simply the academic
techniques of good writing. I regret that you interpreted my response to mean
that I was not open to a wide variety of ideas and opinions. I think that my
posts during my 8 years on this list generally indicate otherwise.

> I believe this question of whether one should depend MORE on "external
techniques to generate internal feelings" later OR to sing from the heart is a
matter of CULTURAL DIFFERENCES.

+++This is a subject for another thread, and I agree that cultural differences
can often play a part in artistic expression, based on my teaching experience
with students from outside the USA. However, I do not have time to get into
that today.

---
Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
http://www.rhodes.edu

emusic.com