Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Nicholas Scholl" <res0kli9@v...>
Date:  Tue Oct 1, 2002  11:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Head to Chest transition.

Does anyone have anything to say on this, with regard to Cornelius Reid's
defintions of falsetto, chest, and 'head' voices? It if my experience that in
his defintion [whereby the falsetto and chest are separate functions entirely],
even with the two registers separated fully, the falsetto far overlaps past the
top of the chest voice. In fact, mine goes down to about F below middle C. The
top of my chest voice is around E or F above middle C. This is actually the
natural case of most males and females. It is a strange phenomenon that has yet
to be explained: pure chest voice ends around the same place in all voices.

More on this later....

Nick Scholl

>>Falsetto is usually defined as
that vocal quality which is produced by the male voice well above his
usual chest voice range which, for lack of a better description of
sound, imitates a female voice in the same range. Few singers are
abole to produce a wide dynamic range in falsetto, usually not more
than mp to f. Most male falsetto appears a few notes above the
highest possible notes of the chest voice and the singer experiences
a release of some of the breath pressure which has increased as the
chest voice is sung higher and higher. It is most common that a
break or absence of notes will occur between the top of the chest
voice and the appearance of falsetto. >>

emusic.com