Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Oct 4, 2002  1:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Soprano Funeral Rep.

SACRED:

Faure: Pie Jesu, from REQUIEM

Handel: I know that my Redeemer liveth, from MESSIAH)

J.S. Bach: Bist du bei mir

Trad.: Swing low, sweet chariot

Trad.: Wayfaring Stranger

Trad.: Jerusalem, my happy home

Mendelssohn: O rest in the Lord, from ELIJAH (for alto)

Purcell: Evening Hymn

Joncas: On eagle's wings

Wagner: Der Engel, from WESENDONCK-LIEDER; Es ist bestimmt in
Gottes Rat, WWV 92 (1858)

Sullivan: The Lost Chord; God shall wipe away all tears, from
THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD

Maurice Greene: I will lay me down in peace, from O GOD OF MY
RIGHTEOUSNESS

Samuel Liddle: Abide with me

Charles Ives: Abide with me; Hymn

Britten: Death be not proud, from HOLY SONNETS OF JOHN DONNE op 35 (#9)
(poem also set by Douglas Moore, and by Richard Rodney Bennett, from
TENEBRAE [#5])

Holst: I vow to thee, my country (good for the funeral of a patriot
or public servant)

Beach: Hymn of Trust, op 13

Gurney: Even such is time

Schubert: Verklaerung (Der sterbende Christ an seine Seele), D.59

Parry: My soul, there is a country - and - There is an old belief - and -
Never weather-beaten sail, all from SONGS OF FAREWELL (Never
weather-beaten sail also set by Thomas Campion)

Elgar: Ave verum corpus (also Mozart)

Malotte: The Lord's Prayer (there is a commonality between the first
part of this prayer and the Kaddish, the Jewish prayer for the dead: a
commonality, no doubt, that was fully intended by Jesus when he gave
this prayer to his disciples)

Any number of settings of the 23rd Psalm, including those by Vaughan
Williams (The Bird's Song from PILGRIM'S PROGRESS), Virgil Thomson,
Creston, Dvorak, James Leight Macbeth Bain (Brother James' Air),
Jessie Irvine (Crimond), Samuel Liddle, etc.

Gaither: Because he lives

SECULAR:

Berlioz: Sur la lagune, from LES NUITS D'ETE (#3) (set also by Faure, op 4
#1; Gounod, as "La chanson du pecheur",
and Offenbach, as #4 of LES VOIX MYSTERIEUSES)

Haydn: The Spirit's Song, HOB XXVIa no. 41

R. Strauss: Im Abendrot, from VIER LETZTE LIEDER (#4)

Massenet: Epitaphe, from POEME DU SOUVENIR (#6); Elegie

Mozart: Abendempfindung, K.523

Stanford: To the Soul - and - Joy, shipmate, joy! from SIX SONGS OF FAITH
op 97 (#4)

Vaughan Williams: A Clear Midnight; Rest; I have trod upon the upward
and downward slope, from SONGS OF TRAVEL; Love-Sight, from THE HOUSE OF
LIFE

Tosti: Adieu, my dear

Copland: The Chariot, from TWELVE POEMS OF EMILY DICKINSON (#12)

Finzi: Fear no more the heat o' the sun, from LET US GARLANDS BRING (#3)
(text also set by Quilter, as his op. 23 #1, and by Vaughan Williams)

Delius: Joy, shipmate, joy! - and - Now finale to the shore, from SONGS
OF FAREWELL

Warlock: Bright is the ring of words (also To the memory of a great
singer); (also
set by Vaughan Williams as #8 of his SONGS OF TRAVEL) - for a singer's
funeral

Mahler: Um Mitternacht, from FUENF RUECKERTLIEDER (#5)

Robert Ward: Vanished

Joachim Raff: Vor dem Gang zum Schaffot, from MARIA STUART, EIN CYKLUS
VON GESAENGEN (also set in English as "Written on the Eve of Execution" by
Richard Rodney Bennet, in his
TENEBRAE)

Puccini: Addio, addio mio dolce amor, from EDGAR, Act III

MUSICAL THEATRE AND POPULAR

Norman & Simon: How could I ever know?, from THE SECRET GARDEN

Elton John: Candle in the Wind

Eric Clapton: Tears in Heaven

Celine Dion: My heart will go on (from TITANIC)

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I want to know God's thoughts...
the rest are details.
- Albert Einstein

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20383 Re: Soprano Funeral Rep.thomas mark montgomery sailorbudd Fri  10/4/2002

emusic.com