Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Jun 1, 2000  12:32 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors - and castrati

At 07:32 PM 30-05-00 -0700, you wrote:
>At 06:30 AM 05/31/2000 +1000, Reg Boyle wrote:
>>By the way John, JSBach was a bass-baritone so that may be a clue
>>as to who he had in mind while writing that work!
>
>Delightful tidbit - since I'm a bass-baritone too and a Bach nut
>since before my voice changed.... when I was a boy alto :) Do
>you have a reference on that - I'd like to verify it.

Dear Joel,
I think you observations are quite valid. It's an old
trick to lay claim to the obscure and let the opposition disprove it,
which they can't, because of the same obscurity. It's like tossing the
woman accused of witchcraft into the river. If she survives we burn
her at the stake because she was saved by her witchcraft.
And like Notradamus' followers who always predict the
past: they 'knew' about it all the time, after the event.

Only one of my books gives the information about
JSBach being a bass-baritone. I think everyone has it on their
book shelf. Great Composers with the foreword by Antony Hopkins.
In the section on his early Education in Lunerberg on page 11, 12
it states: " Bach sang in the choir (Mettenchor) until his voice broke,
changing from treble to bass baritone then he became an instrumentalist.
At school he studied Latin, Lutheranism, arithmetic, history and
geography, German poetry, physics, heraldry and genealogy."

It seems that only the foreword is by Antony Hopkins of BBC,
Cambridge and Royal College of Music fame and no credit is given
to the fine writing within. Good luck with your quest. Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2050 Bach and Basses Joel Figen   Thu  6/1/2000   3 KB

emusic.com