Vocalist.org archive

From:  Amanda Kelley <mandasings@y...>
Date:  Thu Sep 26, 2002  2:38 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Looking for ideas

Gosh, this is just one of those subjects that encompasses so many different
opinions! But, I have to say that I disagree with Dr. Clark. Now, I don't have
nearly the education and experience she has, but what I believe simply comes
from my own experiences. First of all, feeling and understanding the emotions
of the song/character is why I sing. It is a form of self-expression that I
like to share with an audience and, hopefully, they will hear me and understand
or relate to what I feel. I think that performing without really feeling what
you are performing (and simply using facial and body gestures) just leaves me
feeling manipulated. I just saw a recital given by Thomas Quasthoff. At the
end of Dichterliebe, he wiped a tear from his eye. I was right there with him.
So, now that I have that out in the open, on to my opinions of the issue at
hand.
Have you tried working with the student on her art songs as if they were
monologues? It can get a little corny if the text is silly, but there are some
very believable texts to use. I've found (with myself and watching others) that
sometimes the act of singing can get in the way of our emotional expression.
When the music is taken away, everything seems clear. With the music there, we
get caught up in the singing and the technique and forget all about the
emotional aspects. Plus, singing can be such a personal act for some that
emotional committment, to top it off, makes some people really uncomfortable.
Anyway, I would explore other forms of dramatic expression if you are both
comfortable with it.
Mandi

emusic.com