Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 25, 2002  5:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Head to Chest transition - Lloyd

Lloyd and Dennis,

THanks for the link on backpacks......I was making a joke of sorts about them
and weightlifing.My general point was one of not avoiding physical
activity....as long as it is done in an age appropriate manner. I can't even
lift my 11 year olds backpack and went and bought her one with wheels, I was
so concerned. How can it be they seem to be learning less but the books are
thicker???? (Joking again)

Men's voices: I think by and large we are in agreement here, mostly just an
issue of semantics and slight variance on approach. I agree that some male
voices just aren't ready or can't hold as much pressure as others. I'm
finding that this is particularly the case in voices that are leaning towards
the deeper timbres. The lighter voices seem to navigate a little easier, but
also will have a tendency to approach the register changes with a higher
larynx if not watched. .......just observations from teaching, I seem to
learn new things all the time. However, when this is the case, we keep on
reinforcing the connection we have and work on repertoire that builds other
vocal skills such as legato singing, vowel formation, consistent vibrato,
style, performance skills etc.

Will make more posts about falsetto, registers etc......when I have the
opportunity to do some more research.

Best,
Mary Beth Felker

emusic.com