Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Mon Sep 23, 2002  12:37 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Head to Chest transition.

I may be too tired to make any sense tonight, but let me try. I don't think I
meant to say, if I did, that it is possible to carry the head voice too low. I
try to approach the total range with the idea that it is always a balancing act
between head and chest registers. The higher the note, the more head voice
dominates. As one goes lower in the scale or range, one must allow more chest
voice into the sound. The reason we call the middle area the mixed voice is
because this is the area of the range where the two registers are the most
evenly balanced (or mixed) -- but the balance is theoretically not the same for
any two notes in the range. To say that the head voice comes too far down
really means that the head voice is dominating in an area which ought to have
more chest sound in it.

---
Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
http://www.rhodes.edu