Vocalist.org archive

From:  Amanda Kelley <mandasings@y...>
Date:  Sun Sep 22, 2002  3:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Head to Chest transition.

Question: Is it common to create a transition point (as in one transitioning
note)? Or is it more likely that one would create a transition area? I ask
this because, as a soprano, I'm just really starting to explore my chest voice
above a middle C and am finding that I like having the options available
(heavier vs. lighter mechanism). I'm also finding that, not only does my
'passagio' happen during pitch transitions and dynamic transitions, but I feel
that I need to change (on certain notes in my voice) mechanisms as I change
vowels. For example, when I go down to a D4 I usually go for the heavier
mechanism, but if the vowel is an [u] it is terribly uncomfortable to sing that
way. Now, is this an aspect of the instrument or would you say it is an
indicator of some sort of tension? I realize this is a question I should ask my
teacher but it seems like a really strange phenomenon and thought I would get
some other feedback. Any ideas?
Mandi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20315 Re: Head to Chest transition.Joscephine Gomez voice_consultant Wed  9/25/2002

emusic.com