Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Sat Sep 21, 2002  1:45 am
Subject:  MED: Aspirin

I have a question for our list docs-

Since my father has suffered several small strokes and I am now 45 years old,
my physician recommends that I begin taking what we used to call a "baby"
aspirin everyday-I believe it is 81mgs.

When I had voice surgery 4 years ago I distinctly remember the speech
therapists warning me to avoid aspirin, since it can increase the chance of
vocal fold hemorrhage. But what about this small dose? Would it also
increase the risk of hemorrhage?

For what it is worth, I am pre-menopausal (or at least peri--no symptoms as
yet), and my cholesterol was 130. I do not smoke and drink only 2-3 glasses
of wine per week and my blood pressure is very low--usually runs around
80/50. I am also very small, which may account for the low blood pressure.
However, my father is a non-smoker, tee-totaler, has low blood pressure and a
normal cholesterol level, with a good HDL/LDL ratio. Why he had a stroke is
beyond me.......

I am not asking for anyone to make a medical decision for me, I really just
want to know if that dosage of aspirin would be damaging to my voice.

Thanks,
Leslie

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20273 Re: MED: AspirinGWendel Yee gwyee2redshift Sat  9/21/2002
20274 Re: MED: AspirinGWendel Yee gwyee2redshift Sat  9/21/2002
20282 Re: MED: Aspirin - a wordy replyJohn Messmer, M.D. singdoc_1 Sat  9/21/2002
20285 Re: MED: Aspirin - a wordy replynorma bowen singerteacher85 Sun  9/22/2002
20290 Re: MED: Aspirin - a wordy replyJohn Messmer, M.D. singdoc_1 Sun  9/22/2002
20294 Re: MED: Aspirin - a wordy replyleskayc@a...   Sun  9/22/2002
20293 Re: MED: Aspirinleskayc@a...   Sun  9/22/2002
20301 Re: MED: AspirinKaren Mercedes   Mon  9/23/2002

emusic.com