Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Candace Magner" <magner@l...>
Date:  Fri Sep 20, 2002  6:04 pm
Subject:  To dream or to follow your heart

"Instead of transferring to a "stand-alone" conservatory, you might
consider transferring to the music school or music department within
a university (or college) that is known to have a good music
school/department college - such as University of Indiana, University of
Michigan, Oberlin College, Johns Hopkins University, etc. You may find
that the "apples to apples" aspect of the transfer will make it easier,
and you may also find that you ultimately prefer a school that provides
both an excellent musical curriculum and good support for other studies.
I personally believe this approach is more likely to yield a well-rounded
person. Then, if you choose to continue your music studies at the graduate
level, you could apply to a dedicated conservatory as your "finishing
school".

I agree with the idea of started a 'new' program at a larger school, a music
department within a college or university. However, the schools she
mentions, such as Indiana or Michigan are highly competitive conservatories
within universities. I would certainly hesitate to recommend IU as an
undergrad school to *anyone*, let alone someone just beginning voice/music
study as a vocation. Oberline, Peabody, all those wonderful other
conservatories we mentioned to Deanna, are also going to be very intense for
a 'let me see what I want to do' student starting a music program.

Having said that, please understand that, perversely, I agree with the
latter part of Karen's suggestions - find a school with a decent music
program which is decidedly NOT a conservatory, where you can take an
"excellent musical curriculum and good support for other studies" as she
says.

Dr. Candace A. Magner
University of New Mexico - Los Alamos Dept of Fine Arts/Music
magner@l...
homepage http://clik.to/candace

emusic.com