Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Sep 20, 2002  12:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] To dream or to follow your heart...

First, I wouldn't give up on college altogether. It may simply be a matter
of finding a school that suits you better. Or it may just be the inherent
shortcomings of most Freshman "101" courses.

My freshman year was pretty bad academically at Duke because most of my
classes were LECTURE classes (even though I managed to AP out of some of
the basics). But I persevered, and in my sophomore years things vastly
improved because I found I was qualified to take virtually all graduate
level seminars. Despite being the only sophomore (and in some cases, the
only undergrad) in these classes, I found I did extremely well in all of
them, because of the WAY in which one was expected to learn - research,
writing, and discussion - instead of just listening to a lecturer and
taking and memorising notes for exams. None of the graduate seminars I
took even had exams: all grades were based on papers written and
participation in discussion. For me, this was an ideal way of learning (I
probably should have just gone to school in the UK, where this approach is
the norm even for undergraduate learning).

I suggest you do some self-analysis to see if the problem is less school
in general, and more a question of the structure of the classes you're
taking. If your current college can't accommodate your participation in
seminars rather than lecture classes, you may want to look for a school
that will.

But don't just quit. You'll find that your future career options are
extremely limited if you do.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I want to know God's thoughts...