Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Thu Sep 19, 2002  9:23 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Technique as a solid, tangible thing

Margaret Harrison wrote:

>When you've got your vocal technique in hand

...and many others have written something about technique being
solid. (E.g., my teacher is giving me a solid technique.)

I'm curious about just where this sort of verbalization comes from.
Do instrumentalists tend to speak this way? I don't think so. How is
it that singers come to talk about technique, which I understand as a
_way of doing something, as though it were a thing itself? Is it
because singers have no strings to change, no reeds to fuss with, no
valves to lubricate, no skins to adjust? Is it because singers, going
on stage with no external instrument, tend to feel vulnerable, and in
order to calm their anxiety pretend that they take with them
something solid (their technique!) to protect themselves against the
risk of appearing foolish?

I'd be interested to read what any of you have to say about this matter.

Curiously,
John Link

http:/www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink (John Link Vocal Quintet)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20255 Re: Technique as a solid, tangible thingClark_Diane   Thu  9/19/2002
20257 Re: Technique as a solid, tangible thingPatricia R. Combs patriciamezzo Fri  9/20/2002
20260 Re: Technique as a solid, tangible thingGreypins@a... greypins Fri  9/20/2002
20261 Re: Technique as a solid, tangible thingReg Boyle bandbau Fri  9/20/2002

emusic.com