Vocalist.org archive

From:  GWendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
Date:  Thu Sep 19, 2002  4:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Allergy Season Questions

At 03:12 AM 9/19/02 -0000, didigirl12000 wrote:

>Does taking Flonase or Nasonex cause weight gain like taking a
>steroid like prednisone? I recently lost 20 lbs. and now that it is
>allegy season I started taking Zyrtec a couple of weeks ago. I
>sometimes wonder if the Zyrtec has affected my voice or if it is the
>allergies themselves. Has anyone felt that Zyrtec has adversely
>affected their singing voice?

Nasal corticosteroids are produced in either a lipophilic (fat soluble) or
hydrophilic (water soluble) base. Those in hydrophilic base may be absorbed
systemically; however, these tend to have higher potency, are rapidly
cleared from the body, and the amount that is actually absorbed is, for all
clinical purposes, negligible. The lipophilic-based ones are not
systemically absorbed will have a lower potency, and a longer half-life.
For all clinical purposes, the differences are not significant, IMO.
Neither will have any effects on weight gain. Although, personally, Nasonex
tends to work better for me and is my own preference.

Zyrtec, like all other antihistamines, may cause somnolence (in about 10%)
and dry mouth (probably more common). The dry mouth may be managed with
adequate hydration and lozenges.

I can't address the third part of your question without knowing what your
ENT actually injects into your nose. Perhaps you can ask him/her at your
next visit. However, if despite these treatments, you still experience
nasal congestion, why bother? Use the Nasonex.

GWendel, dT (MD, etc)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20240 Re: Allergy Season Questionsdidigirl12000 didigirl12000 Thu  9/19/2002

emusic.com