Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Wed Sep 18, 2002  4:32 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist]Non vibrato?

Reg B. wrote:

> About blowing into the tube to get the muscular sensation of what support may
feel like, it was not done while I vocalised, it merely occured to me at the
time just how close the action simulated a satisfactory feeling of support. As
it is so difficult to portray some of these actions in writing, I thought I
might mention it in case it is of assistance to some-one else. It certainly has
been a help to me especially in those moments when the brain needs to sing but
the body is unresponsive.

> In case Titze has some other intention I say that there was absolutely no
sensation of pressure in the throat at the time. only the all round feeling.
Thanks again.

+++++

I have students use the straw both with and without phonation, and for a
variety of purposes. One of the things I have learned in a lifetime of teaching
is that there are many ways to approach just about any subject, and if I find a
tool that helps someone, I don't hesitate to use it. I also know that (as I
believe someone said at the recent NATS convention) when you get two voice
teachers in a room, you get three opinions.....so I generally follow my best
instincts, and I belive the results speak for themselves.

emusic.com