Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Wed May 31, 2000  8:02 pm
Subject:  freaky-high whistle register

I should clarify what my concept of a whistle register
is.

From what I understand (and I don't have this ability
or register or whatever it is, so this is what I've
heard from friends and biographies), most sopranos can
produce notes around a high C (and up into D, E, and F
-- sometimes G, like Natalie Dessay) in both
full-voiced head tone and falsetto. But some sopranos
have a totally different-feeling type of production,
that gives them the high A, B, and C-above-high-C.
From what I know of their descriptions, it's a sudden
shift into a different placement, and the notes fly
out with no strain. One friend described it as gear
shifting -- you're singing along in chest voice, and
around an A4 or B4 it's too high to sing without
strain -- so you shift into head voice, and around a
D6 or E6 it's too high to sing without high-larynx
strain -- so you shift into whistle, and it's free and
easy until you run off the piano. I'm calling
C4=middle and C6=soprano high C.

The other friend who can sing these freaky notes
discovered this register when, trying to sing a high E
at the end of the Bell Song, she missed the note
completely and found herself singing the A above that,
totally accidentally.

There are many sopranos who simply have a high top,
and can sing high F's and G's in their normal
(although they may shift concepts and placement around
a bit) head voice -- but it's still head voice, and
the production isn't radically different.

So, to my definition, "freaky-high whistle register"
is a totally different way of using the voice, as
different from head voice as the flip-falsetto is. So
you couldn't, for example, hit your B above high C in
whistle, then swell it into head voice.

But then, I don't have these notes, so I can't say for
sure. Are there any Vocalisters with a high A or B
who can provide a better description of what it feels
like?

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...

2025 Re: freaky-high whistle register John Alexander Blyth   Wed  5/31/2000   2 KB
2030 Re: freaky-high whistle register Melanie   Wed  5/31/2000   3 KB
2040 Re: freaky-high whistle register Cynthia Donnell   Thu  6/1/2000   9 KB
2045 Re: freaky-high whistle register Lisa M Olson   Thu  6/1/2000   2 KB
2047 Re: freaky-high whistle register saint james   Thu  6/1/2000   2 KB

emusic.com