Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Tue Sep 17, 2002  1:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist]Non vibrato?

In a message dated 9/16/2002 4:01:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
DCLARK@r... writes:

As Diane replied:

> As already noted, I did not suggest MORE support (which involves more
> than just breath pressure), but PROPER support.

Talking about support ( commonly defined as breathe pressure ) of any kind in
relation to vibrato is a misunderstanding of how vibrato is produced. Vibrato
is not created or controlled by air. The only air needed is enough to sustain
the dynamic of the pitch that vibrato is being used on.

> > Additionally, if my hunch is right, you will notice that her voice becomes
> "bigger" and more "controlled" on the upper pitches of the staff, but she
> will have few notes above the staff.........
> >
> Are you saying the person will lose her higher range? Why should that
> happen?
> > ---

In my experience, I have found that those voices that have been trained to
take the head voice down, typically exhibit a higher laryngeal position from
the get go, in comparison to a voice that begins in chest voice and then
mixes. Because of the higher laryngeal position on low pitches, extrinsic
muscle action is invited at a much earlier part of the range resulting in a
shorter upper register and a much more strident tone. Typically behaviors
exhibited in the upper range of singers trained this way, is a very
wide/opened mouth position, pushing more and more air pressure as one
ascends, and an increasingly strident and brassy tone. More, pianissimo notes
above the staff can rarely be produced without introducing breathiness of the
tone, nasality, or simply flipping into a falsetto production.

Hope this clarifies,
Mary Beth Felker

emusic.com