Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Tue Sep 17, 2002  12:55 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] narrowing down college list for undergraduate studies

>Hi Everyone,
>My daughter is a senior in high school and we're getting set to decide
>on 3 colleges to apply for. She is intent on studying for a classical
>performance degree in voice and her first choice is Oberlin. I want her
>to audition for at least 2 other schools, but I haven't a clue which 2
>to focus on. We like the idea of a small campus with great voice
>teachers, of course, and a music curriculum that really teaches
>musicianship to singers, as well as pedagogy. We live in Washington
>State and she's insisting that she must go to school out of state.
>(teenagers). SNIP
>Deanna

Deanna,
Perhaps you can go back into the archives to see this discussion in its
other incarnations. I'll try to summarize the advice offered when this
question has come up in the past.

For an undergraduate degree find a department with a wonderful voice faculty
and a good all-round music program. Save the tuition and look at in-state
programs both private and public.

The "name" programs are often dominated by the graduate and doctoral
students and provide few performance opportunities for undergraduates.
Theory is theory. Good voice teaching is good voice teaching. Why not
consider giving your daughter the opportunity to experience a program with
less competitiveness and more support in an in-state school. Smaller and
less well known programs have to offer more to the student to stay in
existence. Faculty members are often more accessible, available and
approachable in a smaller department. There is less likelihood of
"politics" being part of the environment. This is a plus for both students
and faculty.

Is your daughter planning on going to graduate school? Many "unknown" music
departments excel at preparing their undergraduates for graduate and diploma
programs. If your daughter is talented and hones her language, musical and
dramatic skills she could be awarded a sizable scholarship for a graduate
program.

The above comments are generalities. As always there are exceptions.
However, don't overlook a gem of a program in your state which could offer
both an outstanding education and a great tuition savings.

Cindy Donnell

Cynthia Donnell
Coordinator of Voice Performance
Virginia Commonwealth University