Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Denise Johnson" <dj1756@h...>
Date:  Wed May 31, 2000  5:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Introduction

I started having some difficulty with my high notes in October, 98. The
F(above high C) was iffy and the stuff below that down to about a G lacked
all subtlety. I still had the notes, but they were forte or nothing. I went
to my ENT who looked in my throat and found that I had a polyp on my left
cord. I had a trip to Austria scheduled in November and didn't want to still
be recovering from surgery so I put it off until I got back. Then I had to
postpone it until January for insurance reasons.

Anyway, when I went in for my pre-surgery visit the polyp was still there
and other "stuff" had also grown on the same cord. I don't really know if
the two are related or not, and, frankly, I don't want to know. The surgery
went well. The polyp was benign, but the other stuff was not, so 10 days
after surgery I began radiation. I finished radiation in March and had to
stay on vocal rest to allow the larynx to recover from the radiation. In
July my doctor cleared me to start singing again--five note range and for
5-10 minutes at a time.

As far as how it's affected my singing, that's kind of hard to say. My range
is different (pre-cancer I could vocalize from about a below middle C up to
G or A-flat above high C; now I consistently have a low F and some days an
E-flat, I don't really know about the high stuff because I haven't really
tried it. I know I have at least an E-flat, though)my voice is fuller but I
think that's more a result of improved technique and maturity. (I just
turned 28) Overall, I'm singing better than ever, but that's mostly due to a
new teacher who has discovered and is removing tensions I didn't know I had.

Gee, this turned into quite a novel, but I don't mind. When I was first
diagnosed I searched for another singer who had been through this and could
reassure me about what was to come but I couldn't find anyone, so if this
helps anyone else, I'm glad.

Denise Johnson
dj1756@h...