Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Reg Boyle" <bandb@n...>
Date:  Fri Sep 13, 2002  6:18 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] RE: losing weight and the voice

Allow me a few remarks about this. My weight went from 108kg to 87kg over 14
months. About 238lbs to 190lbs. My goal was 198lbs. All my exercise did very
little towards altering the slow rate of loss, nor did it alter my energy
levels.

The most noticable change other than in my neck measurement, was the area I
like to think of as abs support. I strongly believe that the ratio of fat to
muscle changed without altering my over-all weight in that area. Naturally
without slicing bits off I cannot prove it. However this alteration meant a
real difference in the sensation of "support". I have to consciously assure
myself that the support is functioning as I expect it to. There are times
when I feel the support is automatic but when it is really not operating.
Perhaps this happens to everyone but it is my opinion that the exercise of
the muscles in the abs area, but especially a change of the ratio of fat to
muscle greatly alters the sensation of adequate support.

Hope this is not too vague...going through a migraine de-focus episode right
now. Reg.

To: vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com

I think you are correct, Susan, not on the basis of scientific evidence
because I can not find any. Support is a muscular function. Fat just
hangs there but it does press against the abdominal organs if there is
enough of it. Reflux is helped by weight loss, for example, so I
suspect if one is overweight the diaphragm is more "supported" and with
significant weight loss, a readjustment (dare I suggest re-education of
"muscle memory" ;-) ) is needed to get the same support.

emusic.com