Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Sep 12, 2002  10:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] OFF: NON-AMERICAN REALITY SHOCK: WAS: In Memoriam 9/11

Hey, it could be worse. I'm rehearsing "Candide" now, and I had "What a
day, what a day, for an auto-da-fe" running through my head all day
yesterday.

Liz
ONCE AGAIN IN MY CRITICALLY-ACCLAIMED SIGNATURE ROLE AS THE OLD LADY!

>From: Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
>
> > Mike:> probably because the attack was not directly on those killed but,
>on
> > our country. as with any act of war, until the conflict is resolved,
>there
> > is potential for more being killed for the same purpose. as for the
> > international support, as W. said "you're either with us or, against
>us."<
>

>I don't accept this argument. To say that the 9/11 attacks were attacks on
>anything other than buildings, planes, and the people in them - i.e., to
>say that they were attacks on America - is to grant a legitimacy to Al
>Quaeda that it simply does not have. Al Quaeda is a loosely-organized
>group of individual psychopaths. They are murderers, vandals, and
>hijackers. As such, they are able to murder, vandalise, and hijack planes.
>They are NOT able to attack nation-states, or to declare war. They are NOT
>legitimate national entities, and as such, their acts were and will always
>be the acts of groups of individual criminals, that can only target
>individual victims - collective, admittedly, but still individual victims.
>
>Karen Mercedes

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

We all live in a place called "23 skiddoo." --John Prine