Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Wed May 31, 2000  4:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Some Bach, some vibrato, some support

--- Reg Boyle <bandb@n...> wrote:
> I was interested to hear one of the top German
> tenors recently who would
> begin a phrase with a tightly controlled vibrato and
> as he sustained the
> vowels late in the phrase would develop a wider and
> less attractive vibrato
> that seemed to be connected to over-relaxation.
> Peter Schrier I think.

Dear Reg and all,

If it was a recent recording of Schreier, than I would
forget it. Although he has done some interesting
things in the past, what I've heard from him in the
last years, seems to prove that in many aspects he is
only a shadow of himself anymore. The reason he still
sings is probably, that his interpretational skills
still are remarkebly, as is his presentation, so
despite all it is still interesting to hear him sing
Schubert songs that aren't too high.

Best Greetings,

Dre