Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <rossicaio@h...>
Date:  Wed Sep 11, 2002  7:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] OFF: NON-AMERICAN REALITY SHOCK: WAS: In Memoriam 9/11

Karen:>Why do the victims of 9/11 deserve this massive
international commemoration any more than any of the individuals murdered
on a daily basis throughout the history of the human race? If we are going
to go about commemorating victims of fatal acts of intentional violence,
we should commemorate ALL of them. But who can honestly say he gives even
a passing thought to the hundreds - thousands - of murder victims that are
killed daily in the U.S.?<

Mike:> probably because the attack was not directly on those killed but, on
our country. as with any act of war, until the conflict is resolved, there
is potential for more being killed for the same purpose. as for the
international support, as W. said "you're either with us or, against us."<

Just some considerations:

Neither is the whole world commemorating (important reminder for
non-Anglo-Saxon readers: although "commemorate" or something similar means
"celebrate a happy event" I guess in most Romance languages, it's more like
"remembering an event" in English) the attack, nor is any other country
supposed to support the US reactions.

I agree with Mike that Americans (or better, all those living in the US)
have a special reason for mourning those specific deaths, as they were (and
still are) potential targets.

As for the other countries, there's this stupid and unacceptable argument
stating that those people, although not directly guilty, deserved, as
"Americans", to pay for the thousands of deaths your State/Empire has caused
around the world, including its financial support for Milosevic, The Taliban
and Saddan Husein while that was considered politically advantageous.

Although I agree that the American State has picked the fight and is so
partially to blame for Sep 11, I don't agree that the American people has
anything to do with the side effects of an Empire they have no control over
anymore. All you want to do is live your lives like most normal people
that is, Al Qaeda members not included) do.

But I think the most important is to warn Mike that that "you're either with
us or against us" has caused the US to lose all the little support worldwide
anti-Americanism (which is as stupid as that utterance) allowed it to have
right after the attack. It's always cited as a confirmation of how
self-centered you are. That was maybe the biggest of Bush's diplomatic faux
pas.

Best wishes (and supporting the war on Iraq, which is something I think not
even Americans are so sure should be done),

Caio

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20100 Re: OFF: NON-AMERICAN REALITY SHOCK: WAS: In Memoriam 9/11Greypins@a... greypins Thu  9/12/2002
20102 Re: OFF: NON-AMERICAN REALITY SHOCK: WAS: In Memoriam 9/11Karen Mercedes   Thu  9/12/2002
20103 Re: OFF: NON-AMERICAN REALITY SHOCK: WAS: In Memoriam 9/11Greypins@a... greypins Thu  9/12/2002
20104 Re: OFF: NON-AMERICAN REALITY SHOCK: WAS: In Memoriam 9/11sopran@a...   Thu  9/12/2002
20105 Re: OFF: NON-AMERICAN REALITY SHOCK: WAS: In Memoriam 9/11Caio Rossi   Thu  9/12/2002
20106 Re: OFF: NON-AMERICAN REALITY SHOCK: WAS: In Memoriam 9/11sopran@a...   Thu  9/12/2002
20107 Re: OFF: NON-AMERICAN REALITY SHOCK: WAS: In Memoriam 9/11sopran@a...   Thu  9/12/2002
20116 Re: OFF: NON-AMERICAN REALITY SHOCK: WAS: In Memoriam 9/11Elizabeth Finkler   Thu  9/12/2002
20119 Re: OFF: NON-AMERICAN REALITY SHOCK: WAS: In Memoriam 9/11Greypins@a... greypins Fri  9/13/2002

emusic.com