Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Wed Sep 11, 2002  5:28 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] RE: losing weight and the voice

I think you are correct, Susan, not on the basis of scientific evidence
because I can not find any. Support is a muscular function. Fat just
hangs there but it does press against the abdominal organs if there is
enough of it. Reflux is helped by weight loss, for example, so I
suspect if one is overweight the diaphragm is more "supported" and with
significant weight loss, a readjustment (dare I suggest re-education of
"muscle memory" ;-) ) is needed to get the same support.

I for one would not encourage people to avoid appropriate weight loss
for the sake of support.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

emusic.com