Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Wed Sep 11, 2002  4:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] RE: losing weight and the voice

Hi, Sharon,

I don't have the experience of losing significant weight and its effect on the
voice; however, I'd like to suggest my thoughts based on other experiences.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I have alwyas had a hard time accepting the
idea that layers of abdominal fat have anything whatever to do with breath
support. The fat does nothing but put stress on your body. (I'm sort of a
middleweight, myself - not skinny, not really fat. About a size 10-12)

My body has gone through various changes in musculature, particularly during
physical therapy for shoulder problems and here is where I think the change
happens for those who lose weight. Your skeletal and musculatory systems have to
realign and rebalance to move you around as your body loses weight, and the
voice apparatus is affected just as any other part of the voice. I've noticed
that singing is different as soon as I get home from physical therapy because
muscles and bones in my neck, back and shoulder are aligned differently. This
initially alarmed me, but I realized that I had been compensating for tense or
out of place musculature, and now didn't have to because things were close to
their natural states.

Maybe the medical people on the List can give us a more educated point of view;
this just makes sense to me.

Susan Schneider

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20090 Re: losing weight and the voiceJohn Messmer, M.D. singdoc_1 Wed  9/11/2002
20099 Re: losing weight and the voiceAmanda Kelley mandasings Thu  9/12/2002

emusic.com