Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Mon Sep 9, 2002  10:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Suggestions needed for vocal workshop

>>Have the singers stand with 50-60% of the body weight in the heels.
>>Accompany this with reminders to unlock/soften the knees, lengthen and
widen
>>the back at the belt line.
>
>I read your entire message in the hope that this instrction was only
temporary and used for some special purpose. However, not finding that, I
want to make a different suggestion.

>One of the most helpful and important things I learned at the 2000 NATS
workshop on Body Mapping, Alexander Technique, and Dalcroze Eurhythmics was
the importance of allowing the bony structire of the body to bear the
wieght, so that muscles don't have to jump in and compensate for incorrect
balance and alignment. According to Barbara Conable, the weight should be
distributed evenly on the ankle joints, not on the balls or the heels of the
feet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Diane,

The suggestion of the 50-60% of the weight in the heels is simply to
encourage the shift in alignment from the balls of the feet to a balance of
weight through the ankle into the arch and fairly equally through the foot.
I learned this from Alexander lessons and from Conable's book which I use
regularly in lessons. It's a short cut suggestion to accomplish what you
suggest in a 20 minute session. As such it's far from perfect but I find it
produces a release of old postural habits and permits freedom of the breath
in these short clinic settings.

I hope I cleared up any misconceptions.
Cindy Donnell

P.S. It's good to have you back on the list as a contributor. I've missed
your thoughtful comments and sage advice.

Cindy

emusic.com