Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Mon Sep 9, 2002  7:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Summer Ramblings

In a message dated 9/9/2002 2:14:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
johnlink@n... writes:

> > What I do know is that, when recording with professional ensembles, the
> >result of those recordings were sounds which SOUND like straight tone but
> >which are not -- rather they are a well-modulated vibrato which does not
> >exceed the dynamic level in which they are sung.
>
> Like salt in cooking, perhaps? Just enough but not enough that it is
> noticeable?

Indeed. And enough so that the tone is ringing and has a bit of vibrancy or
shimmer...I learned that vibrato should 'accompany crescendo, and never
preceed it'. In addition, this vibrato is the 'tempering' that the pitch
often needs in order to tune with other pitches. So the point is -- that
some listeners' perception of the sound is that it is 'senza vibrato',
whereas, if the conductor actually ASKED for 'senza vibrato', the resultant
tone (and possibly pitch) would have been somewhat different.

Thanks for commenting, John.

Lynda Lacy

emusic.com