Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Sep 9, 2002  12:32 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] "AMERICAN SINGING" WAS:"Muscle Memory"

> Reg:>
> No doubt this is why most of the singing world,
> other than in the US, does not submerge itself in the
> understanding of muscle processes but deals only with the results.
> I'm sure there is a middle ground somewhere here.<

as a singer is unable to feel so much of what is actually occuring in
singing, it is really academic as to what is going on with a good deal of the
muscles. it is often argued that the better we understand how the muscles
work, the more likely we are to come up with methods that indirectly trigger
the appropriate actions. it seems tragic that so little effort is put into
connecting the actions of everyday uses of the voice with those actions used
in singing. is it not in our best interest to make singing easier and
simpler rather than more elusive and exclusive?

mike

emusic.com