Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Sun Sep 8, 2002  11:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Medications and the voice

This also leads me to a question about ethics.....when should a voice
teacher advise students about such things? Most of the general
practioners I have run into don't know much about medications and
effects on the voice and so have not been very helpful when I have
enquired in the past. Should I just direct the students to the
appropriate information and let them discuss it with their doctors?
This seems to be an issue that I have run into fairly frequently of late
and I'd rather err on the side of caution. Also, what about students who are
self-medicating with herbal remedies? And, what about the more mundane sorts of
medications, such as cough and cold remedies? Should a voice teacher enter into
this, or should one just keep their hands clean?
Opinions, advise? And, thanks in advance!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From Vocalist 10/03/01, in response to a discussion regarding educating
patients' parents on the use of steroids and the voice.
Cindy Donnell

- - - - - -
From Dr. Messmer:

May I respectfully suggest that voice teachers qualify their comments to
students about medical problems with the phrase "this is only an opinion
about something I have not been trained; please check with your doctor."

I avoid giving opinions about technical singing questions even though I feel
I have learned a lot on Vocalist and through my own voice lessons since I am
not a teacher. However, I am qualified to comment on medical issues.

Flonase, if used correctly - not inhaled into the pharynx - has no effect
whatsoever on the larynx. If a person has allergic or vasomotor rhinitis,
it can help keep the nasal passages clear and improve airflow and reduce
local reactions. A singer with a congested and watery nasal passage will
likely not sing as well as one with open passages.

Inhaled steroids into the larynx MIGHT be another issue. However, if used
properly, it is a manageable one.

John

John Messmer, M.D., Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine, Penn
State College of Medicine

emusic.com