Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <rossicaio@h...>
Date:  Sun Sep 8, 2002  10:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] "Muscle Memory"

RAndy:>
I don't think the muscles themselves have a memory. To contract they need
be enervated, what has the memory is the cns acting in repetitive patterns
which causes the same muscular activity to take place over and over again.<

Omtara:>All muscles have a memory of their own. That is how we learn to
drive a car or ride a bike - the body remembers what it has to do
and it does them without us having to consciously tell it to do so.<

According to what I can recall from my college classes, even the
"arc-reflex" (is that the term in English?), although not requiring the
involvement of the brain, still needs neurons connected to the spinal cord
to take place. Therefore, there doesn't seem to be muscles with "a memory of
their own" whatsoever. Driving a car and riding a bike are just examples of
how the lower parts of the brain, not the "body" or the "muscles", can
automatize some activities without the direct involvement of the cortex,
where the conscious, volitive activities take place.

Also, that kind of "programming" can be easily overridden by further
programming, a.k.a. exercises and rehearsals, although it's true some
people are more resistant to "re-programming" than others. I just don't
believe the resistant type would ever succeed in becoming a professional
opera singer in the first place, as before having a role their
singing-related muscles would have proved to be very flexible.

Caio

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20039 Re: "Muscle Memory"omtara omtara Sun  9/8/2002
20043 Re: "Muscle Memory"Reg Boyle bandbau Sun  9/8/2002

emusic.com