Vocalist.org archive

From:  "mjmoody2000" <mjmoody@c...>
Date:  Sat Sep 7, 2002  10:48 pm
Subject:  Re: Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisis

Michelle wrote:

> Too demanding at times, and not ideal for anyone aspiring to be a
> professional singer!
>
> To me, you have raised valid points John and I agree with all of
> them. I take it you are a classroom teacher yourself? Sounds like
you
> are one of the "good guys". I hope you don't become burnt out and
> despondant as so many of my friends did and eventually leave the
> profession. I always think it is a tragedy for everyone when that
> happens.

I'd like to think I'm one of the good guys, but sometime I'm not
sure.

I think the main problem with choral music education is that a
reliable, realistic way of note-reading is not the main focus
(besides good vocal technique). Once realised that the kids have no
clue what they are looking at the teacher most often resorts to
teaching the parts separately note by note. This means that the
students who are not having their part played for them have NOTHING
to do - so they talk. The teacher yells to keep them quiet and the
cycle continues. If you spend four minutes with the altos, then the
tenors, then the basses you realise that twelve minutes have gone by
and the sopranos are just sitting there. Choirs that are taught how
to read music can usually get through the piece on neutral syllables
the first time. Sometimes sections need a little reinforcement, but
that doesn't take much time.

I think the issue then is education. I think that the majority of
people that take music in elementary school, then chorus in middle
school and high school (in other words twelve years of music)
generally can't tell you the names of the notes on a staff. They
generally don't know the clefs, or what the flats and sharps mean -
let alone what all the rhythmic values entail. I think this is the
main reason people get burned-out. I also think it is the main
reason for discipline problems in school. I honestly think that if
we music educators could REALLY teach how to read music - then most
of our problems would be over. It is a hard thing to teach,
however, and there are probably as many ideas on how to do it as
there are on how to teach singing!

Whether I am burnt out or not I am probably going to stay. The pay
check and health insurance aspects of it are nice! I've mentioned
the "Vocalist-temporary" at our recent MENC gathering and I hope
that more of our choral music teachers will join this great group.

John

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20013 Re: Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisSharon Szymanski sszymanski27514 Sat  9/7/2002
20014 Re: Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisJohn Link johnlink010254 Sun  9/8/2002

emusic.com