Vocalist.org archive

From:  "drama_diva_au" <drama_diva_au@y...>
Date:  Sat Sep 7, 2002  2:23 am
Subject:  Re: Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisis

John wrote:

> [...]
perfect world if all the teachers spoke in a commanding and
authoritarian manner.<<<<

Oh I agree, wholeheartedly! I didn't mean that entirely the way you
naturally saw it. I have noticed though, that some people/teachers
have a manner about them which students immediately respect. This
doesn't transfer to arrogance or pomposity, or authoritarianism, nor
indeed did it make them impervious to all classroom problems. It
simply appeared to me that students appeared to respect them from the
moment they opened their mouths without them having to fight for it.
It also has occured to me when I have thought about these people that
to me there was something common to them all and the most obvious
thing I noticed was their vocal quality. This was why I described it
as "authoritative" I guess, not because they behaved like classroom
fascisti.

I have worked as a lay person in the classroom both as music teacher
and choir conductor and I am not blest with this natural "authority".
I had to work at it and regain it after making the mistake of
initially being too friendly I think, which made the students
impervious to my instruction when the time came to get on with the
hard yards. They didn't take me seriously at all, they just thought I
was a pushover, so I had to learn a few techniques. (The bulk of
which had to do with my vocal delivery when I wanted them to know I
meant business!) Many teachers just end up shouting themselves
hoarse. Teacher friends tell me this was never taught in Teacher
Training, it was something they had to find out through experience,
observation and others' wisdom.

profession. <<<<

Too demanding at times, and not ideal for anyone aspiring to be a
professional singer!

To me, you have raised valid points John and I agree with all of
them. I take it you are a classroom teacher yourself? Sounds like you
are one of the "good guys". I hope you don't become burnt out and
despondant as so many of my friends did and eventually leave the
profession. I always think it is a tragedy for everyone when that
happens.

Michelle

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20012 Re: Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisismjmoody2000 mjmoody2000 Sat  9/7/2002
20013 Re: Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisSharon Szymanski sszymanski27514 Sat  9/7/2002
20014 Re: Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisJohn Link johnlink010254 Sat  9/7/2002

emusic.com