Vocalist.org archive

From:  "omtara" <omtara@h...>
Date:  Fri Sep 6, 2002  6:52 pm
Subject:  Re: The Countess-a discussion

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Amanda Kelley <mandasings@y...>
wrote:
> In addition, I guess I don't partake in the idea that arias should
be sung by singers who are vocally 'ready', both in maturity of
voice and technical knowledge and usage. If that theory were in
place for all vocal literature, most young singers would spend their
time vocalizing and few would sing any rep in their beginning
years.

Right, but when this young singer who cut her teeth on Porgi Amor
becomes a young profesional who is learning the role of the
Contessa, she will mostly likely be stuck with this horrible muscle
memory to overcome from when she sang that aria with an incomplete
or bad technique. For this reason I think it is a better idea to
use art song repertoire. There is plenty of challenging art song out
there that can teach just the same things vocally as an aria like
Porgi Amor.

Karena

emusic.com