Vocalist.org archive

From:  "panaveko" <divananny@h...>
Date:  Wed Sep 4, 2002  10:23 am
Subject:  duets before a moving audience......

Hi list,

A while back I asked you for advice on rep for sop/mez duets. I was
asked to sing at the entrance of a farewell-reception of former
ministers of health & sport. I got lots of ideas, especially from
Karen, of course! I'd like to thank you (again) for that....

Now... The event took place yesterday, and I must say, Karen you were
right; it IS a hellish experience! We were placed in the center of a
very large staircase so that we would be heard on several floors of
the building. That worked beautifully, people were very impressed!
The location was -fortunately- quite easy on the voice, because of
the great accoustics. That was a definite plus.
But my dear! It's very hard to actually sing to an audience which is
moving, talking, waving, winking, etc. and which is sometimes not
even in sight! I think I'll think twice before doing this again
(unless I get paid, of course!)

I have to say: the thing I missed the most was the applause! We had
some, but not at all like the applause you get from a regular
audience... I had no idea I would actually miss that!

All in all, it was vocally and performance-wise challenging, but
still okay; we had a large number of dutch celebrities (politics,
sports etc.) in the audience, which is quite nice for a couple of not-
yet-very-experienced singers!

The songs/arias we did were:
- we the spirits of the air (Purcell)
- sheperd, leave decoying (Purcell)
- what can we poor females do? (Purcell)
- die bescheidene (Dvorak) (or: Skomna, but we did the german version)
- abschiedslied der zugvögel (Mendelssohn)
- sull'aria (Mozart)
- qui tollis (Rossini - petite messe solennelle) (on request)
(we sag the whole thing about three times, which made for about 80
minutes...)

Again: thanx for the imput, all!

Back to normal,
Nande