Vocalist.org archive

From:  Justin Randolph <sneezy_1@y...>
Date:  Wed Sep 4, 2002  1:13 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Music Performance degree?

Jennifer,
I'm currently a third year vocal performance major,
and let me tell you it's not all fun and games. I have
found, like most around me, that this major IS one of
the hardest! There are so many things you have to work
on and fight for. YOu do need to know the theory, the
history, and the musicallity of everything. It needs
to BE IN YOU. If we, as professional singers, are
going to continue the legend of "good" singing we need
to stay true to the composers, and performers before
us.
I have to work very hard at learning the theory,
aural skills, and history of everything. Like most
singers I just want to "sing." this degree may not,
fresh out of college, get you anywhere. But it's a
great start that you will have compared to SO many
other performers that haven't had this training. I
definitely plan on going to grad school. If you
continue you should...Grad. school will take you so
many more places! Decide what you want to sing. I
have taken much time to myself to try and figure out
"my voice" and what I want. I'm also very fortunate to
have an incredible voice teacher.
Best of luck!
Justin