Vocalist.org archive

From:  "drama_diva_au" <drama_diva_au@y...>
Date:  Tue Sep 3, 2002  1:53 am
Subject:  Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisis

Improper speaking technique is so easily fixed! It isn't brain
surgery but it does require a bit of discipline and effort.

Strangely I have had many friends and quite a few students who
were/are full-time "classroom" teachers. Nearly all have had vocal
problems of varying degrees sometime in their careers. The three who
took the plunge and paid the money to work with a speech therapist or
similar vocal professional who taught them how to "use their voice
properly" I can honestly tell you have never had a days trouble
since. My own students have had a good deal of success with the
little I can impart but I do not pretend to be a speech expert, I am
first and foremost a singing teacher.

My background invloves full time undergraduate study in both voice
(at a conservatorium) and later, acting (at University) so I have had
both vocal training for singing and speech. It has made all the
difference for me personally and also the approach I take to my
students epecially when dealing with vocal problems.

I really feel it is a major fault of education faculties in the
universities that they don't train their teachers to use their voice
properly at undergraduate level. Especially those who don't have
natural resonance or authority in their tone to start with. When I
think back, the teachers who engendered immediate respect from the
class and maintained it, more often than not had resonant voices,
even if quietly spoken, and an "authoritative" way of speaking.
(Whatever that means! LOL) For some this must just come naturally,
and for some others I am sure it can be taught. (Some others still
will probably just never get it.) When you hear of the discipline
problems teachers have these days, doesn't it make you wonder that,
at the end of their training, if they just haven't got what it takes
in their voice and body language, they just shouldn't be graduated as
teachers? Ah, for utopia eh? Only in a prefect world. *smile*

Michelle

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19999 Re: Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisismjmoody2000 mjmoody2000 Fri  9/6/2002
20007 Re: Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisdrama_diva_au drama_diva_au Sat  9/7/2002
20012 Re: Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisismjmoody2000 mjmoody2000 Sat  9/7/2002
20013 Re: Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisSharon Szymanski sszymanski27514 Sat  9/7/2002
20014 Re: Subject: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisJohn Link johnlink010254 Sun  9/8/2002

emusic.com