Vocalist.org archive

From:  "drama_diva_au" <drama_diva_au@y...>
Date:  Tue Sep 3, 2002  12:04 am
Subject:  Re: Fall Semester Begins

a beginning lyric soprano.<<<<

Depending on what level of achievement you are after I couldn't more
strongly disagree Mandi. Certainly "Porgi,Amor" looks
straightforward, as does Susanna's "Deh Vienni Non Tardar" however
both these arias have hidden demands that are far from suitable for
beginners to perform, even though arguably might be considered
training pieces, but that depends on the age of the singer.

Porgi especially requires a rock solid technique, totally effortless
breathing support and above all STAMINA. These are not common in
beginners, they take time, patience, practise, age and maturity to
develop and achieve.

The Countess is not a role performed by beginners. As a character she
is a mature woman, which means anything between 35 and 45 to most
directors. (Mozart most certainly knew this and wrote accordingly.)
Vocally this can often translate to the singer being 45 to 55 to
handle the demands of the music written for it when we're talking
Mozart. There is a reason Opera companies start their baby sopranos
out in the roles of Cherubino, Barbarina and Marcellina before
letting them loose on even Susanna.

I am in no way trying to put you down by stating the above strongly
Mandi. I am, respectfully, suggesting you have fallen into a common
trap that many do when looking at Mozart. Have you sung/taught Porgi
yourself by any chance?

>>>But, above all else, check with your voice teacher first.<<<

That goes without saying for any advice given on this list Julie,
only YOUR teacher can know what's best for you. She might even give
you the green light for Mandi's suggestion, I have no idea what level
you are at. I do know however that Mozart's work is never as "easy"
as it looks, both as a performer and a teacher.

Cheers,
Michelle

emusic.com