Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Sun Sep 1, 2002  12:51 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Vocal crisis.

By now you should have gotten your voice back.

Have you been to a doctor yet? It sounds as though you need your larynx
scoped to see what's going on. You don't know what the problem is - is
it overuse, reflux, vocal fold hemorrhage, etc, etc.? If you have been
using amplification and rest thing should be much better.

OTOH, if you speak incorrectly, you could have persistent problems.
Have you ever seen a voice therapist?

Cortisone will reduce inflammation and swelling in vocal folds that are
irritated, BUT if you use it to recover from improper techniques and do
not fix the technique, you could sustain irreparable damage. It should
only be used in a singer with good technique who fully understands
his/her voice for emergencies and under the care of a doctor who
understands the potential problems singers can face.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19942 Re: Vocal crisis.bjjocelyn   Sun  9/1/2002

emusic.com