Vocalist.org archive

From:  Justin Randolph <sneezy_1@y...>
Date:  Sun Aug 25, 2002  8:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] voice bug.

Mirko,
One thing that I have found to be an INCREDIBLE help
with similiar problems is some kind of steam vapor
therapy system. I purchased an actual vicks personal
steamer a year ago and have definitely got my moneys
worth!! If I have a lot of phlem I find that this
vaporizer helps me to "drain" quicker. I would
recommend using this as much as possible, especially
before your rehearsals and after you teach. I
recommend also (some may not agree with me because if
you don't properly clean the steamer this may hurt it)
but put a little bit of salt in the steamer water at
night and then inhale the steam through your nose for
about 15 minutes.
I started taking Allegra D for some allergies
recently. I've had phlem problems before and since
taking this I don't have much of a problem. The
Allegra hasn't dried my chords out as much as some
other decongestants. Be careful with the cough
suppressant though-it can be drying at times.
Good luck! Just get enough sleep, eat right, and keep
taking those garlic pills(i do that as well!) Best of
luck to you and your family. :)
Justin
--- Mirko Ruckels <mirkoruckels@i...>
wrote:
> Hi list.
>
> I am currently trying to recover from a really
> annoying voice flu/bug of
> some sort. My voice has been breathy and covered in
> flem, making it really
> hard to sing properly. I am stuck in a bit of a
> vicious circle.
>
> Adding to my stress are the following factors: I
> teach music at a primary
> school monday to friday, am rehearsing two to three
> nights a week for as
> Tamino in a uni production of the Magic Flute, and
> am expecting a baby in
> two weeks.
>
> I've been humidifying my voice, taking a cough
> suppressant, using saline
> nose spray, taking zantac (for my reflux) eating
> garlic and drinking lots of
> water.
>
> Is there anything else I could be considering?
>
> Mirko

19901 Prégardien and other singers in interviewsDré de Man   Tue  8/27/2002

emusic.com