Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Mon Aug 26, 2002  5:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Your opinion on returning to school

Well, it is an MA in vocal pedagogy, requiring classes
in vocal pedagogy, song & opera lit, music history,
etc., as well as one recital and a teaching practicum
project. I received great instruction in ped by Joan
Wall and feel quite competent in that area, as well as
in the technical aspect of singing. I am not as
comfortable with my performance skills.

However, because it was a small program, the
requirements for theory, music history, and languages
that I see many places were not required. These were
replaced by additional training in the previously
mentioned classes, so I feel a lack in these areas and
would need additional study in them as well as in
piano if I ever wanted to get a DMA (and opted not to
get the MM now).

I am studying with a great teacher right now and am
improving in vocal and performance ability more than I
ever have, but I will be moving across the country and
will not be able to continue with her.

I feel that at my present ability I am able to give my
community college students excellent instruction, but
I do want to feel more comfortable with my own
performing for myself and because, of course, of the
positive impact it will have on my teaching. Also, I
will need the improvement so that I can give a hiring
committee a performance that is as impressive as my
teaching demo and interview will be.

Not sure if that's the information you're looking
for...